The Pentagon Just Locked Boeing and RTX Into Seven Years of SM-3 Parts

The Pentagon signed two seven-year SM-3 component frameworks with Boeing and RTX. Neither side disclosed a dollar value. The only official print this month is MDA’s $745 million Block IIA award for the United States and Japan.

Share
Submarine launching a missile at night

The Pentagon signed two framework agreements Friday with Boeing and RTX to expand production of critical Standard Missile-3 components. The agreements are not a priced missile buy. They are a seven-year lock on the parts that sit under Raytheon.

Defense News reported the deals on August 14. They cover avionics and ejector assemblies that Boeing supplies to prime contractor Raytheon, an RTX business, for SM-3 Block IB and Block IIA. Both variants operate with Aegis ballistic missile defense and destroy incoming missiles outside the atmosphere.

Build First, Price Later

The frameworks run seven years. They allow Boeing to start building components before a contract is in place, while the three sides negotiate a multiyear deal. The long-term commitment is meant to give suppliers enough certainty to invest in added capacity.

Neither the Pentagon nor Boeing released dollar figures or quantities. That is how the instrument is written.

A Wartime Footing

"We are stabilizing our supply chains, expanding munitions production and putting our entire defense industrial base on a wartime footing," Michael P. Duffey, under secretary of war for acquisition and sustainment, said in the Pentagon release.

Bob Ciesla, vice president of Boeing Precision Engagement Systems, said in a company statement that the deal "gives us a clear demand signal to build and deliver SM-3 interceptors at the levels needed to counter threats." He called the SM-3 "an essential part of the layered air and missile defense architecture that protects the U.S. and its allies worldwide."

The April PAC-3 Template

The approach mirrors a seven-year deal Boeing struck in April to triple production of PAC-3 Missile Segment Enhancement seekers. That earlier lock-in was part of a broader Pentagon effort to pin down key subcontractors alongside the primes.

Friday’s SM-3 frameworks follow the same sequence. Lock the bottleneck parts. Negotiate the multiyear around work that is already moving.

Combat Has Already Drawn the Magazine

Demand for the interceptor traces to April 2024, when Navy destroyers first fired SM-3s in combat against an Iranian ballistic missile attack on Israel. More interceptors have been launched since, including those fired in Operation Epic Fury.

Bar chart of CSIS SM-3 inventory of 414 versus wartime expenditure of 130 to 250
CSIS SM-3 inventory of 414 as of December 2025 versus estimated wartime expenditure of 130 to 250 missiles. Chart by Defense Stocks. CSIS.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies estimated the SM-3 inventory at 414 as of December 2025. A May CSIS analysis put wartime expenditures between 130 and 250 missiles and warned that replenishment will take years.

Congress has kept the Block IB line open after the Missile Defense Agency proposed ending new purchases in the fiscal 2025 budget request. Block IB is the cheaper of the two variants covered by Friday’s agreements.

The Only Dollar Print This Month

Earlier this month, MDA awarded Raytheon $745 million to produce fully assembled SM-3 Block IIA interceptors for the United States and Japan. That is the only official dollar figure attached to SM-3 this week.

The Boeing and RTX frameworks themselves carry no disclosed value. For the two listed names, the story is the seven-year clock on avionics and ejector assemblies, not a booked contract total.